I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Sowing Peas and Lettuce Seeds ...

Despite the soil being very dry on the allotment I have managed to sow peas and lettuce seed today. The weather is supposed to be turning unfavourable at the week-end so the beginning of next week may be my next chance to sow further seed.


The lettuce I have sown this time is of the cut and grow again type. I sow that by sprinkling the seed in the seed bed and then covering it over to the required depth.
Earlier this month I sowed this type of lettuce seed - sometimes known as salad bowl type in pots in the garden for lettuce picking on my doorstep. The rows of lettuce that will take longer to mature and that will be left to 'heart up' I have sown in rows to make weeding around them easier.
Nan Shan #600054 CC Stainless Steel Hand Hoe/Strap
Much of todays time at the allotmant was spent using the hoe on the weeds that have sprung up around the onions and garlic as well as between the fruit bushes.

My first signs of the potatoes starting to grow were there today - the dark green leaves had started to push through the surface of the soil in a couple of places I earthed them up in case of a late frost. Earthing up is when you mound soil around the potato to protect it either from light or frost. I find it t is often easier to use a hand held hoe to earth up the potatoes when they are at this early stage and this might also be the case with onions when weeding around them.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote