I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Thursday 27 May 2010

Dry spells cause problems in the vegetable garden at this time of year, especially if you have sandy soil.

The seedlings and young plants need moisture to grow and to become established. Potatoes do not produce such a good crop in dry conditions. Watering with a watering can is often hard work if the water tap is a long way from your vegetable plot. Not matter how many trips I do backwards and forwards with two watering cans, it is never the same as a good shower of rain on the soil.

Planting seeds is difficult in dry soil and I am still trying to work out the perfect way to do this. I have two methods I am trying at the moment - one is suitable for larger seeds the other for seeds like lettuce/salad leaf seed.
For larger seed such a french beans - I make a shallow trench just a bit deeper than the depth I want to plant the seed. I pour water into this shallow trench from a watering can, I let it drain away slightly then push a layer of soil on top of the 'mud' into this soil that is sitting on the mud I sow the seeds. I follow the seed packets instructions for depth and spacing of the seeds.

For tiny seeds I water the area I wish to plant them in, go off and do another task, return and rake the seedbed - if it is OK I plant the seeds - to dry and I repeat the watering and waiting, too wet and I let it dry out until i can rake it too as finer crumb as I can. For my sandy soil it is rare in these conditions that I can obtain the ideal fine tilth that is good for seed sowing. Sometimes with vegetable growing you just have to do the best with what nature provides you with that season.

BTW -  watering potatoes - if you put too much on in one watering the potatoes might swell too quickly and split. 

Maybe where you are - you are reading this and thinking - you just wish it would stop raining. What would be ideal would be just the right amount of rain at night - but that would take the challenge out of it I suppose.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote