I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 2 August 2010

Thinking about ways to improve the soil on your vegetable plot...

Soil Improvements for vegetable plots.

Now is a good time to start to plan nay improvements you would like to make to the soil on your allotment/vegetable patch. If you grow your vegetable crops in raised beds the chances are you will not need to do as much work on them in the autumn season as someone growing on an allotment or in a vegetable patch will.

For those who have problems with the soil the best time to research suitable solutions and to make plans is now. If you know your soil needs enriching with manure or compost you can begin to plan taking delivery of the first or gaining access to your compost heap for the second. Another thing to consider is will you be wanting to plant a green manure crop to over winter on the soil. I will write more about green manure crops later. A green manure crop is one that you grow to dig in at a later date it protects the soil from erosion and is dug in at a later date and can add humus to the soil because of this. If you are planning to plant green manure seeds you need to do a bit of research to make sure you select the correct one for your soil type, the time of year you are sowing it, how long you intend to leave it growing for and also where you are in your crop rotation cycle. Some green  manure crops are related to brassicas and need to be avoided if you are planning to plant them in that area in the following growing season. Which means you will need to select one of the other types. Some types of green manure crops are good at fixing nitrogens in the soil in the same way that beans do.

I will put a link on my links page to a site that sells the seed but that you can read the information on about the different types. I am not an affiliate of this company I just think it helpful to read what the experts have to say on a subject like this.
BTW.  I will put a note anywhere that I post links and sites here if  I am an affiliate of ( affiliates get paid for successful referrals).
I do not include the main two in this note adding as it would take too much time and look silly.
Now back to the garden, vegetable plot planning for me.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote