I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Friday 5 November 2010

Still making good use of some of the fruit from our plot -

we had gluts of some fruits especially plums; which were frozen down cooked up as compote. This is now saving us money as we are using it with Greek yogurt as breakfasts, desserts or when we want a snack.

I also experimented with freezing down whole plums - loose in a 'tray' of the freezer and am cooking those up with other fruits to use for crumbles.  Providing that you remember to remove all the stones at the end of stewing them up there seems to be no problem. To make sure there are no stones left (to do damage teeth) I count in the number of plums I am adding to the saucepan and count them as I fish them out at the end of cooking time. Some may say life is too short for counting plum stones, but I prefer it to standing in a supermarket waiting to pay for a shop bought pie with a soggy bottom and a burnt and dried out pastry crust.

Compote can be made from shop bought frozen fruits when necessary, adding sliced up apples reduces the cost and helps it to 'set firmer'.

How to make compote is on the recipe page here and more info is on my Hubpages too.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote