I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Sunday 22 May 2011

Watering vegetables in a dry spell

Yet again we have had a dry month here, just when the potatoes need water to encourage the new potatoes to develop, the same happened last year. Last year this dry spell was followed with rain and the perfect conditions for blight followed, just keeping our fingers crossed that this does not happen again this year.

One of the problems with watering crops on an allotment is the to and fro to the water tap with watering cans. Our allotment rules say no watering cans, so the trips back and forth become tiring and only the essential things get watered as a consequence. I can understand the rule as it is a fair one, the cost of the water bill has to be covered by our rent and no one wants that to increase in leaps and bounds.

So the potatoes get watered, but sometimes even the things like the garlic,onions and shallots that normally survive without being treated to a watering are so dry that they need to be given their share.

The time spent on watering can duty could be well spent on sowing seeds and weeding. my attitude to caring for the allotment usually ends up as a compromise between  with the great idea I had of what jobs I will do on my next visit and a quick assessment when I arrive at the allotment; resulting in me tackling the urgent and essential tasks instead. Watering is therefore the task that wins when the alternative is going to affect the crop.

I do not water unless it is essential though as I have a theory that over watering is counter-productive and causes problems in several ways.

BTW. Remember it is more efficient to water early or late in the day as at mid-day the watering is less effective on a warm day. Also keep in mind when watering potatoes that some people believe water left on the foliage overnight when the temperature drops can encourage blight to develop.

That's all from me or now- more soon, with new photos to follow soon.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote