I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Fruit and vegetables what is doing well in the dry spell? The weather is suiting some crops while others are failing

It is strange to see how the dry spell of weather seems not to be affecting some of the things I grow as much as others. I should add that they are not watered every day but just enough to keep them going; while some plants seem to cope well with this others are not. So here is a list of the things that I grow that are looking sad and pathetic this year -

Sad Crops, here are the top of the flops- Beetroot, oh dear this is looking sad and it is the second sowing of the seeds as the first ones failed through the dryness of the soil.

Lettuce is not fairing too well either the warm weather combine with the dryness is making the lettuce crop a flop.

Rhubarb was good to start with but the heat beat it in the end and I will now have to wait for next years stems to taste the tart but pleasant flavour again.

Good growing news - strawberries are excellent this year, good crop and nice taste. Even the ones that are failing to plump up are cooking up to make a tasty treat.

Peas are also looking good, and i am looking forward to a good yield from them if they continue to hold their own in the dry conditions.

Potatoes are taking their time to produce new potatoes but the ones I have dug up are excellent in taste and quality. Charlotte's are going to be one to grow again next year as they are one of my favourites so far.

The currants are good with the red, white and blackcurrants producing a reasonable sized crop. had to pick them quickly as the birds had spotted how good they looked and where starting to 'sample' the fruits.

Updates to this as the season progresses, I have a sandy type soil so the dry weather makes growing even more difficult in such years as this one.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote