I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Our home grown strawberries are looking and tasting good and the potatoes are starting to flower

Strawberries  .

Picking strawberries, today was a good day for strawberries enough were ready to pick and enjoy as a tasty snack later. Now is a good time to add a reminder that it is important to wash the fruits you pick (in the garden/or on the allotment) before eating them.

I also noticed the gooseberries are starting to plump up in size and that the red gooseberries are starting to 'colour up'. Wow this is when it starts to get exciting and really interesting, not knowing how much progress is being made between visits to the plot .



First Early Potatoes, how to check if they are ready to eat. 

A simple way to find out if the first early potatoes are ready.

I am holding back from checking on the first early potatoes that are flowering *.

Later on (maybe next week) , I will check on the size of the new potatoes that are forming on the first earlies that are flowering.

A way to check if your potatoes are ready.
I will check on the new potatoes progress not by digging them up but by gently unearthing a few potatoes near the surface. If they are not big enough to eat I will gently replace the soil over them. If you do this new potato checking process with care the plant is not damaged and the new baby potatoes remain attached to the 'mother potato' so they can carry on growing. If you are lucky enough to find new potatoes big enough to eat, gently remove a few for today's meal and leave the rest to grow on. You can harvest/crop a few potatoes as and when you need them from the first earlies in this way for a few days or weeks until you want to harvest more of them.

*I am giving the potatoes  a bit more time because the weather has been so dry here; I think it may have delayed the new baby potatoes from making progress in the week when I was away and unable to water them.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote