I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Sunshine needed to ripen the plums and tomatoes and kitchen waste to compost

Photo of home grown tomatoes
Green is a very nice colour, but I do need a bit of sun to ripen my tomatoes and my plums. Especially need the plums to ripen soon as the wasps are finding them very attractive this year and the earwigs seem to be showing an interest in them too. I think one sunny day would be enough for the plums to ripen but the tomatoes definitely need more sunshine.

Home made compost.

Kitchen and Garden waste turns into home made compost.

This week I have been digging out
compost from the compost bin, after turning the not ready compost over and adding it to the other compost bin. This gives me a supply of compost to top up the raised beds and also an almost empty compost bin to start throwing the waste into to create more compost for the vegetable plot.

Hopefully the second of our compost holding  bins will turn itself into compost in time for adding to the plot this autumn. It never ceases to surprise me how much kitchen and garden waste goes in to turn into a much smaller amount of compost. I know compost rots down but the amount it takes to produce a wheel barrow full is amazing. Why more councils do not organise collection of items that could be composted and turn it into this useful product I will never understand.  The efficiency of composting when done on a larger scale would speed up the process so they could turn the potential kitchen and garden waste into compost in weeks.  Better still would be if they could organise a Bokashi system for those who have lots of kitchen waste that cannot be composted in the ordinary way.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote