I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 23 April 2012

Now we are going up in the appearance of the allotment world

It can take years to get an unruly plot into shape.

I have always been happy to start on the allotment and reclaim as much as I could at one time; fitting it in with the other things I have to do.

However even though it produced some amazing food for our table, it was never the neatest plot on the block. I did not care, it was mine and appearances are not everything when it comes to allotments.

I have to admit that once my husband decided the allotment was not such a mad idea and that he had a bit of spare time to help on the allotment things have improved.

Since I have had help with the weeds battle - two people working on that seem to achieve 3 or 4 times as much. When it was just me it seemed like a constant battle to keep the weeds down when I needed to do other tasks.

He has replaced the wire and poles temporary composting bin with two wooden compost holding areas. This means that because of their size the amount of compost we can make has increased. 

  • Larger bins make compost quicker, as the heat is increased as the volume of the compost heap is bigger.


This week some slabs we have been given have been placed to form a pathway across the plot. It is so much easier when you have a wheel barrow full to trundle down a slabbed pathway; than to struggle over lumps and bumps.

OK more soon and maybe some photos to as updates.

My blossom on the plum tree did not seem to last long, hope the little bees managed to visit while it lasted.

Rhubarb is happily growing, you need to keep picking it as it helps to produce more I think.

  • If it is the rhubarbs first year in that location though let it rest and settle in and next year you will reap the benefits of being considerate this year.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote