I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Thursday 31 May 2012

Sowing More Peas, this weekend and French Beans.

What Shall I Sow and Grow in June?

Which seeds will I plant in the next few weeks/days.

I will be sowing and growing the things we like to eat. 

That may sound obvious, but to begin with when I first had the allotment I felt compelled to sow things like runner beans, which I am not really fond of. So now instead of sowing those beans, I use the space to plant extra rows of dwarf French beans and also peas. Lots of people love runner beans but I like dwarf French beans as they are easier to grow and more versatile when it comes to cooking methods. Peas too have lots of recipes that they are suitable. There is another reason I do not like runner beans and it is an odd one I admit. I do not like the way runner beans''squeak on your teeth' when you eat them, the sensation is one that I find unpleasant. 

The first year of the allotment I seemed to get a massive crop of runner beans for the amount of seeds that I planted, it seemed a constant battle to freeze them down so as not to waste them. Then I remembered that I was not really keen on eating them and it seemed like a waste of time and effort. The dwarf French beans seem the opposite I can never quite grow enough for the amount we could eat. Peas too are popular and can be frozen easily and added to so many dishes that they never go to waste.

Salad Leaves to Grow Your Own Salads. 

I will also be adding to the rows of salad leaves that I am growing.  Come on everyone can grow these even if you only have a large flower pot on a balcony to raise them in.  Once the salad leaves have grown you pick the leaves as and when you want them, so nothing goes to waste. The really amazing part is that the leaves will re-grow two or three times, if you pick the leaves carefully. This is a great way of growing your own salad for meals,snacks and packed lunches. A packet of  cut and grow again salad leaf seeds, to do this idea cost less than the price of a sandwich so this is a great money saving idea too.

I will also be growing courgettes and several other things that seem to remain expensive in the shops all the year round.


a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote