I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Thursday 21 June 2012

No Plums on the Plum Tree this year, reason why.

The plum tree on my plot is one of the original things that made me like this plot more than the others I was shown when I signed up. Despite being told to cut it down by one of the other growers I have had some really good crops from a ailing old plum tree. I thought that this year I may be witnessing the beginning of its demise as it is looking on a poor way, withered leaves and no fruit on it.

However after talking to someone I have discovered what has happened to the plum tree this year. The blossom formed on the tree early because of the mild weather and then came too frosts (while I was away on holiday so I was not aware of them). The frosts took away the chance of the tree producing plums this year and is probably responsible for the leaves looking in a bad way too.

Hopefully next year will be a good one for the tree and with it not needing to form fruit this year the resting time might do it good.

We look to be growing some apples for the first time on the tree I planted in 2010, the baby apples are a very nice shade of red, fingers crossed they manage to produce a good crop for us.

I was complimented on growing the most tasty rhubarb, from someone who said it was the best they had tasted in years after they cooked up a batch that I had given them.

Test dug a few new potatoes, to see how they were progressing,  they are still quite small but very tasty and a real treat with a salad.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote