I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Friday 6 July 2012

My New Potatoes - good to discover they look good as well as taste good.

I am pleased that the potatoes we are digging up for meals are really good so far this year  (we are doing this as and when we want them, a couple of days worth for meals at a time).

The potatoes (a first early variety) are proving to be not only tasty in the way only home grown potatoes are but also free from marks and blemishes. I think this may be due to the improvement we have made to the soil and other steps we have taken.

Wire worm were a problem we had a couple of years ago. You could still eat the potatoes we had grown, but they were not as attractive looking as they might have been when you harvested them. It also meant a little bit longer prep time before cooking them. Wire worm are more likely to be a  problem when you grow potatoes in an area that was previously un-worked and grassy. This means it is less likely in future years but you can try growing the green manure seeds -(mustard) in an area where you plan to grow potatoes.


Ways to prevent potato problems in own grown potatoes in future.

One of the things I did to reduce the risk of wire worm in the future was to sow green manure seeds of a type that are supposed to help deal with wire worm problems. I did this in the area that I would be using to plant potatoes in future.
  • I grow by organic principles so the green manure sowing fitted with my ideas of dealing with problems in a natural way. 
  • I also use the principles of crop rotation and leave the correct gap of time before replanting the same crop in an area.
  • You can buy a varieties of seed potatoes that are resistant to the problems you have suffered from. These are things like a resistance to scab resistance. 
  • Grow good quality seed potatoes, do not plant supermarket spuds sold for meals.
If you are worried about blight in potatoes and want to read up on what it is and what you can do about it here is a link to a page about it from a reliable source - Late Blight Advice.

The page also has a list of the names of blight resistant varieties of seed potatoes. 
It is a company that sells seeds and seed potatoes in the UK.   

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote