I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Own Grown Potatoes - sorting out the good, the bad and the damaged ones

After you have dug up the potatoes, what to do next.

The work does not end when we dig up our own grown potatoes and take them home from the allotment.


Once you get your potatoes home and if you have dug up too many to eat that day; you need to sort them.
The easiest way to do this I find is this -


  • I lay them out on old trays or on mesh or grids - this is done to dry out the skins and also to allow any excess soil stuck to them to fall away.
  • As I am doing this I sort them into 'categories' keeping the 'categories' on separate trays.
The groups I am sorting them into are -  'potatoes that need to be eaten quickly, these are the damaged ones or potatoes that I suspect will not keep.


The other group of potatoes are the ones that look as if they will store well.


If I am harvesting a lot of potatoes at one go  I might have a sack of potatoes that I think  of as -  'store but will not keep too long'.


This year the blight on the leaves of potatoes on the allotments of my growing plot means that I am in doubt as to how well any of them will store. 


It is important to check any potatoes in store regularly to check for potatoes that show signs of deterioration.

A stored potato that has blight - a 'blighted potato' will rot down and it will cause nearby potatoes to do the same. 

This year, I am 'monitoring' the potatoes that have been dug up and if I suspect they will not store will be giving them to friends and family to use them up as soon as possible.




a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote