I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Sunday 16 September 2012

A Tidy Allotment - untouched for a month becomes an untidy plot for a time.

Our allotment was looking good at the beginning of the growing season. As the weather threw odd wild cards at us we did the best we could fitting in with the weather changes.

I thought we were managing well, then a month ago something happened that stopped me visiting the allotment for weeks. Lots of weeds can spring up in four weeks so we now have plenty of catching up to do. The pleasant surprise was that the apple tree had managed to hold onto a beautiful crop of apples. Today I picked most of the larger apples and if I had bought this many apples at organic prices they would have cost more than the apple tree cost 2 years ago. One cannot help but appreciate the difference in taste,texture and flavour of own grown fruit. If you are saying wait a moment, taste and flavour are the same thing in my world they are different - taste is the first thing you get and flavour is the one that lingers.

That's it for now. Feeling that I should have written more in the last few weeks, even if the allotment was temporarily out of reach. However as it is the visits to the plot that are my source for writing here, I was feeling a lack of inspiration for writing. So, unless anyone was interested in my tale of woe, a gap in writing here was almost inevitable. Back now and back to the plot to catch up too.


a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote