I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Saturday 13 July 2013

Freezing on a Hot Day.

Today I needed to pick the fruit that was ripe and ready to harvest. I knew if I left it the birds would have a feast now that the warm weather had ripened it.

Blackcurrants, take ages to pick and the bushes have lots of leaves this year so it was at times like a game of hide and seek to find all of the ripe ones and pick them. The redcurrants have done well too this year, and were gleaming on the bushes like red jewels. I was also surprised at how many fruits the white currant bush had produced this year, as it has only offered us a few bunches in past years.

Once I got home, cleaning and preparing the fruit and freezing it down became the next task. It is all done now though, and I have a well stocked freezer of fruit for making compote and  to use for other desserts.

After picking them and then watering the vegetables, I started having a discussion with someone about why not many people had potatoes in flower on their plots. No one seems to have an explanation apart from the possibility that it is the weather this year. What is really odd is that even the people who do have potatoes in flower only seem to have a couple of their rows of potatoes doing this. We also have some examples of collapsed foliage on some plots, but it does not look like blight, nor is it a sign that the potatoes are ready to harvest, as they are late this year. I will add a new post here if anyone can update me on what is happening.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote