I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Tuesday 24 March 2015

One of the Most Hated Things on Allotments.

Here is my first one, Couch Grass.

I have to start with the return of the couch grass which given an inch ( as in not removed when you think you have cleared it) it will then take over at what seems like a mile, the moment your back is turned. Removing the culprit can be a time consuming and a back aching task, I know this from past and current battles with it.

Oddly, although it is often said that using methods like cultivators on the soil will results in increasing the problem by spreading the infestation ( by distributing those tiny bits of chopped up bits of root) that does not seem to be happening on the plots where this type of work has taken place. Not having the strength to control such hefty machinery ( not being the build of an Olympian)  I am left with digging it up,out and then sieving the soil to get the bits of root out. Great joy, as I do this I think of all the other allotment jobs I could be tackling.  Just you wait I will not be beaten by it though , but  I doubt I will ever defeat it entirely. Best say no more as it may not be polite.

Not sure what couch grass looks like ( I should be so lucky) here is an RHS article about it

RHS page on couch grass with photo


I find on sandy soil the best time to tackle digging out couch grass if before the soil dries out and locks into clumps around the roots, so spring or autumn. Of course digging out the odd few pieces as soon as you spot them is a good idea but any infestation needs serious amounts of digging or more drastic action.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote