I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 29 June 2015

Poor Sandy Soil.



One advantage of a light sandy type soil is that it is not as heavy to work as a clay type.

A disadvantage of growing things in sandy soil is how poor it is at holding onto moisture. Even after recent rain my allotment soil is like trying to break through something that has all the particles locked together. Not easy to dig out new potatoes with my sandy soil in a dry 'locked out' state. Still after scraping away at the top layer I managed to unearth some beautiful new potatoes and they are now going to be an enjoyable part of our family meals.

Of course, adding good things like compost and manure helps to improve sandy soils but it is the quantity needed that is the problem.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote