I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Tuesday 9 February 2010

What do you get from growing vegetables?

Apart from the vegetables and fruit that I grow - I get a feeling of happiness from working in the vegetable plot. Sometimes I am not keen to got there because the weather has changed and is not as good as when I made my plans to go to the allotment. It makes no difference once I am there and working on the vegetable plot time passes and I realise that I am actually very happy to be there.

The allotment is as someone observed 'a timeless place' once you start to work on the jobs that need doing you feel free of time and clocks, away from telephone calls, doorbells and other distractions.

The main jobs that we started on this week-end past were to dig over the area we worked last year. Also we are clearing more of the plot freeing it from the brambles and couch grass so that we can plant that area up with the first early potatoes next month.

I took a look today at the first earlies that are sitting in the cardboard egg-boxes and they are just starting to show signs of chitting. Tiny little shoots are beginning to form, now I will be looking at them each day; not because I need to but out of curiosity to see their progress.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote