I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Friday 2 April 2010

Staarted to Plant the seed potatoes today...

Anyone in an area that is still getting frost at night will probably hold back on planting. However - I need to get this first batch into the ground - so planted my first earlies Pentland Javelin today. They have chitted over the last couple of weeks, the chits are sturdy looking but not very long.

I planted them by digging a trench - markers at the end of the rows, labelled so that I know they are the first earlies. The chits go upwards and I space them as the planting instructions on the bag, or slightly closer if I do n't mind smaller potatoes and am lacking space. If you are short of space it is better to give the main crops more space - as instructions and compromise a little on the planting distances of the frst earlies as they spend less time in the ground and are eaten as smaller - new potatoes. Main crops are left in for longer and produce bigger potatoes usually. I have planted by the other method in the past  i.e. by digging individual holes for the potatoes but I think the trench method probably is quicker and suits my soil on the allotment better ( I hope the trench means less chance of compacted soil between the potatoes).

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote