I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Saturday 15 January 2011

Time to research and make a list of which varieties of seed potatoes to buy soon

It will soon be time to buy seed potatoes here and then chit them; for now my job is to plan which potatoes I want to grow in 2011 and where they will fit in on the vegetable plot. This needs a bit more planning as I have had the allotment for three years now and I do not want to put the seed potatoes in the same area I used for potatoes last year or the year before. Moving the area you plant your potatoes in from one part of the plot to another (crop rotation) helps to prevent the spread of potato diseases.

I also need to decided on quantities to buy, as once you see all the different types of potatoes available it is very tempting to buy more than you need or have room to chit or grow. This decision will include which first earlies, which second earlies and which main crop seed potatoes to buy.

More on this soon, I have articles about chitting potatoes on my HubPages.

How To Chit Potatoes

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote