I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Starting to hoe the vegetable plot to remove the weeds as they come up

Warmer weather means weeds starting to grow.


The warmer weather is welcome because it has made the garlic and onions start to grow and the rain will be helping to get things started on the allotment. Unfortunately this also means that the weeds have started to show up. However I have learnt from previous years experiences, that it is no use ignoring them, they need to be tackled and the sooner the better. I have a 'push-pull' how that cuts on the back and forward stroke and this is ideally suited to chopping the tops of the emerging weeds. There is no need to pick up the 'weed tops' that are hoed off as they will not cause problems.

It has taken me a fair bit of time to master the skill of using the hoe to keep the weeds in check; without chopping down the plants I am trying to grow along with the weeds. Now I am confident enough to hoe down weeds that I would have once had to pull up as being too close to the plants. Another reason that it is easier this year is that I have finally got the space between my planted rows wide enough to be able to work safely between them.

The tool I use is a hoe that attaches to a multi-tool handle, so that with transporting just one handle I can have a hoe and a rake at hand to use. I also have a shorter handle for the multi-tool for areas where the longer handle is not suitable.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote