I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 3 August 2011

My favourite potato variety to grow is

Number one on the list for potatoes that I will grow next year is the variety - Charlotte, it is sometimes sold as a second early but also sells under the term salad potato. Having grown,cooked and eaten Charlotte potatoes, I have to say they do go really well with a summer salad.

I like the potatoes that I eat with my salads to keep their colour when cooked and
not to fall apart, Charlotte is excellent at both. This salad potato also copes well with the  conditions that I grow them in which is mainly that my vegetable plot consists of a dry sandy soil. The flesh of Charlotte potatoes is more a yellowy colour than white, they remain that shade and do not turn grey after cooking as some varieties of potatoes do. A bit of mint, a couple of sprigs in the saucepan as you cook them and a pat of butter on the top as you pop them onto the plate and you have perfect potatoes to serve with salads in warm weather.

I also planted International Kidney, first earlies and have found them to be  good for most types of cooking.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote