I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Sowing Green Manure seeds in the now empty potato patch

There is an area of the vegetable plot that was used for the first earlies and is now cleared and empty. All gardeners know that a empty bit of land is an invitation to weeds to begin to grow and take hold. The old saying about leaving weeds to set seed and you will be removing them for the next seven years has more than a grain of truth in it. That leaves the question what can I sow in this fairly large patch of earth?

(I will be sowing lettuce and other vegetables such as carrots (certain varieties can still be sown) in other spaces on the vegetable plot.)

In the place where I had my first early potatoes I am going to sow a green manure crop and then
turn it in to the soil later on, this benefits the soil by adding humus as well as having the benefit of giving the weed seeds a 'run for their money' by blocking out the light and giving them a bit of competition. I need to check on which green manure seeds I will sow, as different seeds suit different soils, seasons and benefit in different ways. For example a few years ago I planted mustard as that is supposed to help clear the wireworm problem from soils. No need to plant that this year as that was not a problem for me, just luck, or the earlier years green manure mustard seed i have no way of knowing. My first instinct is to plant Phacelia as I find it easy to grow and like to leave a few for the bees. As I said I need to do a bit of research before I order the green manure seeds and sow them.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote