- Do not add too many grass clippings at one time. The reason for this is that they are better added over a period of time in a smaller quantity, otherwise too much grass cuttings added at one time can slow down the composting process.
- When you add paper to the compost heap, scrunch it up into a ball that helps to create air pockets which are good news when composting.
- Cardboard tubes are good to add to the heap for the same reason they help prevent the heap compacting down too much. Air is vital to the heap to make it compost down faster.
- Turn the heap from time to time to mix it.
- Add water if the heap is too dry and cardboard if it is too wet, you will know how to tell which it needs.
BTW When a compost heap is working well it rarely smell nasty.