Potatoes come in different types - basically this is to do with when they are planted and also what type of potatoes you like to eat.
The when to plant bit -
- A First Early potato will go in first the ground earlier (first before main crops etc. ) and are harvested earlier.
- Second early or second earlies get their turn next.
- Main crops go in the ground later and stay in the ground for longer.
That is a basic summary to keep it simple.
Next decision is about the type of potato you want to eat ? - So on your plate do you prefer -
- A waxy potato such as the ones that go well with meals like salads.
- A salad potato.
- A floury potato.
Red or white skinned potatoes?
Any special things to consider like -
- Soil conditions for your growing area.
- Diseases that you know you might have potato problems with.
- Do you need 'slug resistant' potatoes?
- Or 'blight resistant' ones.
Hope that helps you and do n't forget to save the egg boxes to chit the potatoes in.