I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 27 February 2012

Planting My Onion Sets and Shallots. Why Shallots are popular when cooking in my kitchen.

Planting my Onion Sets and Shallots.

I have been busy starting to plant onions and shallots. My soil on the vegetable plot is sandy and if I do not the onions and shallots planted early and we have dry weather in the spring it could cause problems. Everyone needs to take into account their local conditions regarding weather and soil conditions when deciding when to start planting.

The weather and its unpredictability in the last few years has resulted in  very good years for onions or quite poor results. I am refusing to be beaten or deterred by a few couple of bad years and small yields.

This year, I am planting mainly shallots as I love cooking with them and the way they add a subtle flavour/flavor to our meals. At last I have managed to buy a variety that matches my favourite/favorite French shallots which are large and oval in shape; I think some people call them banana shallots.

If my onions and shallots are successful this year it will save me buying them in the local store. In the good years I have been able to store onions,shallots and garlic in the garage. With the harvested ingredients  hanging in a light airy garage they ready to use in the kitchen as and when I need them.

Now if the weather can co-operate with what the shallots need - I will be self sufficient in them for months after the harvesting time.

Cooking with Shallots and Onions,
a difference in taste and results.

Shallots do this wonderful thing when sauteed correctly they almost caramelise in the pan with a little olive oil and a gentle heat and stirring with a wooden spoon. Onions need a careful eye on them when attempting to achieve this as if they darken too much the taste becomes bitter and difficult to disguise in the finished dish.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote