I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Sunny day yesterday may have saved the onions and shallots from rotting on the vegetable plot

Just returned from taking a look at what effect the weather has had on the allotment. As the soil is sandy and it was sunny yesterday things were not looking as bad there as we thought they might be. Luckily we had not raked any areas flat as some other plots that had done this, had that crusted over look that sandy soil does after rain.

The peas seedlings are coming along well. The rhubarb is putting up a great show about £20's worth if it was on sale in a supermarket I would guess. Tomorrow, I will pick some sticks of it, to give to family and friends who are fond of eating it in crumbles or stewed up and served with custard. I think rhubarb is a love it or hate it taste like Marmite or peanut butter and no I do not like either of them but I do like rhubarb.

I have a apple tree that seems to have decided to hold back on opening its blossom until the next sunny day. The apple flower buds are there but no further open than on my last visit to the plot. The soil is too wet to walk on so we had to keep to the path ways.

I need another dry day to get those onions into growing mood rather than being too wet and rotting, but they are looking fine at the moment.

Well I hope a dry spell tomorrow, as I want to turn the compost heap and add some hay from the hutch and cardboard to dry it out a bit. Also the garlic patch needs weeding again and I have packets of seeds waiting to be sown.

More soon - as and when things happen on the plot.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote