I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Time to Get Moving, tidy the shed and get the seed packets lined up.

The last few days here have been pleasantly mild, even though there is a frost some mornings. This bright sunny days weather, is sending me into a get prepared to grow mood.

So now is the time to get ahead with the jobs that need doing and can be done now.

Soon it will be the planting and tending the seedlings and keeping the weeds in check time of year. Then any tasks not done now, well I will wish that I had done them when I had the time and chance to. This is especially true when I think of how the weather has played tricks in the last couple of years, sometimes making extra trips with watering cans an added chore and time consumer.

I have a plan drawn up of what will be planted or sown on the plot and where it will go. This is important for the crop rotation plan that needs to be worked from. It is also important to make sure we have enough plant labels to use in the seed trays as well as on the allotment. It is an on going failing of mine to lose such things and then regret not putting labels on the plants properly.


  • You can buy plant labels or make your own plant labels.
  • Plant labels can be made- by cutting up white or light coloured plastic bottles into suitable sized strips. They are fiddly to make but not difficult. 
Finding a pen to write on the labels that does not fade in the sun or weather conditions on the allotment, now that is an on going problem for me.

More words to be added soon, on what we are planning and doing on the allotment.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote