I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 25 March 2013

A Cold Day on the Allotment.

Allotment, cold and windswept at the moment.

Despite the cold weather, we (the family) had an allotment inspection on Saturday, looking at what needed doing in the coming months.

Now that my husband has put in pathways and cleared the remaining weedy bits, the plot looks good at this time of year. You can see the potential of it instead of feeling despair at how much there is left to do. Thank you for all your efforts for me, it is a good husband who is willing to take on helping on an allotment, when to begin with he wondered why I wanted one. It is his hard-work and tidy nature that has turned it into a plot that I would have envied in the past.

We had some laughs about the strange shapes of the parsnips he grew this year, but he had success with other things. To begin with our working there on the allotment together had felt odd, and needed conversation about what was going to grow where and who would plant things, then we just learnt to work away on our own task and call across to each other with bit of news about the allotment plants and produce.
Walking there and back is always nicer when you have a good bit of company to make the journey feel shorter, I enjoyed that.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote