I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Monday 26 August 2013

The reason I dug up my potatoes this past week.

If the conditions had been good this year my main crop potatoes would probably still be in the ground at the allotment. Some people with plots there have left theirs 'growing' for longer. Well the truth is my potatoes suffered from a collapse of their foliage a few weeks ago, the soil is sandy and we have been asked not to up the amount of watering we do as it will put the bill up. Also we have not been able to go to the plot as often as some people do to water the potatoes. That is how things go sometimes, the weather was dry when the potatoes needed more water.

I am pleased I got a crop of main crop potatoes out this year.  It is not the largest amount I have ever dug up nor are the potatoes large in size but given the reduced growing time they had and the weather I view it as a success, with the odds having been stacked against us potato growing wise.

The potato skins have a few small blemishes on them (it is called scab which makes it sound worse than it is) you can still eat them, you just would not want to paint a picture of them. At least we did not have the smelly mush producing blight this year, nor did we have wire worms or slugs attacking them.
I will settle for a few marks from scab over other potato problems that can happen. I did not use any sprays on the crops as my approach to growing is an organic one.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote