I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Wednesday 18 November 2015

Flowers on the plot.



Next year,  I am going to grow some flowers on the allotment although the main areas will still be used for fruit and vegetables.  Some of the allotment flowers will be to add colour and interest to the plot but others will be for cutting to use in the house and also to give to family and friends.

I feel that improving the 'frontage' of the plot with a splashes of colour from seasonal flowers, annuals, perennials and bulbs will be worth losing a bit of food growing space.


Flowers Update June 2016. 

Earlier this year, I had a nice selection of tulips to brighten the plot for passersby or to use to cut and put into vases at home this spring.  However, summer now and the burst of cutting flowers colour that I was hoping for has not yet happened. Well, in one way it has, last years phacelia and red clover ( green manure crop seeds) was left to self seed and has now almost filled over the planned cut flower part of the plot. A bit disappointing in one way but in another I am happy to leave the purple and red flowers in place as it is a delightful place for the bees who are attracted by these flowers to this part of the plot. I believe we need to encourage bees with areas like this as they have suffered from pesticide use and also diseases in recent years.

 I will never have the courage or time to have a hive on my plot but I am happy to offer this small patch of flowers as a place for them to visit. Bees are also very busy on the tayberry flowers at the other end of the plot and I can also see the fruit forming in large quantities.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote