I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Thursday 9 June 2016

Potatoes Planted 2016 Season



June and none of my first early potatoes are in flower yet.

I confess that I planted them later this year. However, several nearby plots planted at the normal time and are experiencing something that is a bit unusual. The main crop potatoes they planted after the first early potatoes have come in to flower first and earlier than expected, while the first earlies still have only leaves on display.

 I do not know what this means, I know weather wise we had a warm spell, then a colder one so maybe it was the cooler soil temperatures when the first early potatoes  where meant to be getting started into growth but just had to wait for the soil to warm up. But how have the main crops flowered early? Maybe warmer weather and soil when they were planted but that is just a guess,I do not have the definitive answer.

If I hear any more about this I will post an update here, meanwhile it may require a bit more patience than usual before we can harvest them. BTW I have noticed that the supermarkets have had Jersey Royals in stock but not many English new potatoes yet. So the warm weather this week may be just what is needed if we are not to be lacking in tasty new potatoes to go with our salad meals.

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote