I do not put ads on my blog but do have a counter that shows me how many visits the pages get. (The stats. count is just there so I can see if I am 'talking' to myself, luckily so far this has not happened.) By continuing your visit here you are consenting to the stats. counter tracking cookies. Cookies, that sounds like something nice to eat but not that exciting.

Growing Your Own Fruit and Vegetables

We grow our own fruit and vegetables for our meals for as much of the year as we can. Without a greenhouse we have to buy shop food in the winter months but in the spring, summer and autumn we often have enough to share with family and friends.

Read about growing your fruit and vegetables here on my growing your own food pages.

Sunday 5 June 2011

Easy to grow seeds that failed, spinach, replaced with carrot seeds

I try not to buy packets of vegetable seeds that have the seeds coated with 'something or other' to make them superior in the way they will germinate and grow. Part of my nature is that if it 'aint broke do not try to fix it' and that when growing food - less is more; as in the less chemicals and treatments involved the more I like the idea of eating the vegetables that are the end result. However, as I had in my possession a packet of spinach seed that was given away with a gardening magazine (that I subscribe to) I decided to plant it anyway.

I just gave up on the 'weedy' looking results of what sprouted from that seed packet and pulled them out of the ground and binned them. The couple of rows of would be spinach were so pathetic they would have made Popeye weep at the sight of them. It is no great loss as every time I attempt to cook and eat spinach I am mildly disgusted with the taste of it, but as I like the idea of a healthy diet I am tempted to give it another try every couple of years or so.

What has taken the place of the spinach seedlings? A row of vegetable seeds that I look forward to eating with pleasure, carrots.  I will not be the only one to enjoy the resulting carrots if they flourish and grow well as I have a pet guinea pig who will find the carrot tops his idea of a delicious snack.  Now I just need to remember to keep them watered in this on-going dry spell.

No comments:

a healthy potato plant in flower

a healthy potato plant in flower
photo of potatoes in flower

home grown carrots.. grown from seed

home grown carrots.. grown from seed
photo of my first bunch of carrots 2009

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful

Even a small batch of mixed fruit can be useful
Home Grown Fruit can be made into delicious compote